Monday, April 18, 2011

Would Your Exercise Choice Help You Survive a Natural Disaster?




"That Paleo Guy" Jamie Scott, has first hand experience when it comes to surviving a natural disaster. In his most recent post, Survival of the Fittest, he dissects the necessary attributes for survival separating fact from fiction.

I made the comment following the initial escape from our February earthquake and in the hours and days after, that at no time did I require the ability to run at pace for hours on end... top aerobic endurance was just not a life-saving skill I required. Everything I did required a base built on strength. Yet what is the predominant mode of activity undertaken by those who want to increase their health? Aerobic endurance, closely followed, I would argue (particularly amongst women) by the perceived need to be overly flexible. If you are a bendy woman who can jog for an hour, you are considered healthy. Good luck with that if you need to out sprint an incoming wave and clamber up a bank, or pull rubble off a buried co-worker because your office has partially collapsed.


One other point made by Jamie regarding nutrition was interesting.

Ensure you are well-adapted to burning fats and can get by without suffering a carb crash every 3 hours. Best way to achieve this? You guessed it - a Paleo 2.0 diet. I found that having access to the medium chain fats of coconut cream and oil, plus the longer chain fats in meat and eggs, was plenty to get me through.


I have personally done (2) three week liver and colon cleanses from Standard Process and can attest to the fatigue, headache and general sick feeling I got about 24 hours after eliminating sugar and starch from my diet. The second cleanse done 2 years later and after a complete shift in my diet resulted in no symptoms whatsoever.
With a drop in blood sugar could you manage the mental and physical stress of a natural disaster? Let's hope we never have the experience.

Dr. David Marcon
Work Smarter Not Harder
Cincinnati Ohio
drdavidmarcon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment